Welcome to the Award-winning Mizen Head Signal Station at Ireland’s most Southwesterly Point. Don’t miss this unforgettable experience.
At the end of the Mizen Peninsula, the cliffs of Mizen Head rise high above the Atlantic Ocean, where the currents meet from the west and south coasts and waves from the mid-Atlantic crash into the land.
- Signature Key Discovery Point on the Wild Atlantic Way.
- Dare to cross the iconic Bridge high above the gorge; watch for seals and their pups in the swell below.
- Experience the solitude of the keepers’ lives and the elemental power of the restless Atlantic where the ocean currents swirl.
- Laugh with exhilaration into the fresh salt-laden sea air. Be inspired by the majesty (pull) of the endless seascape and the breath-taking views.
- Scan the ocean for whales and dolphins. In wind, rain and gale as well as hot summer sun, the Mizen is exciting. In fog and mist, it is mysterious – a journey of discovery for the senses.
- Interpretation and displays demonstrate many different topics, completing your experience. Come and find your Mizen!
In all weathers, the Mizen is spellbinding. Expect an exhilarating and satisfying visit.
A visit will take 1-2 hour or as long as you like.
Mizen Head Signal Station 028-35115 during opening hours.
November – February weekends Saturday and Sunday 11am – 4pm. 11.00-16.00
HALF TERM BREAK February 20th-24th 11am – 4pm
March 1st – 16th Daily 11am – 4pm
March 17th – May 31st Daily 10.30am – 5pm
June 1st – 30th Daily 10am – 5pm
July 1st – August 31st Daily 10am – 7pm
September 1st – October 31st Daily 10.30am – 5pm
Mizen Information and e-Centre, Main Street, Goleen Tel: 028-35000
Enquiries for Mizen Head Signal Station all year round 028-35000 during office hours for Mizen Information Office, Goleen.
Enquiries: email@example.com www.emizen.ie
Opening hours: November 1st – March 16th
Daily 11am-4pm 11.00-16.00
March 17th – May 31st 10.30am – 5pm
June 1st – August 31st 10am – 6pm
September 1st – October 31st 10.30 – 5pm
Mizen Head Signal Station Visitor Attraction is three experiences in one exciting package –
- Above -the dynamic visitor centre by the large car park. Navigational Aids Simulator, Fastnet Hall, the Geology of the Mizen, the Fastnet Rescue Tide Clock, Tidal Mural, Historical Tour of the Mizen Peninsula, SS Irada Propellor and much more. Washrooms are there for your comfort.
- Mizen Cafe with good home cooked food, snacks, drinks and ice cream for lunch and tea. Open all day.
- Gift Shop@theMizen. A quaint shop filled with a great selection of maritime gifts, model boats, books, and toys for all ages, postcards, cards and maps. A good place to browse.
- On the Way – a ten minute walk to the Signal Station down the famous 99 steps, and over the Arched Bridge amid stunning scenery with the possibility of seeing seals, kittiwakes, gannets and choughs. One of the best places in the world to see Minke, Fin and Humpback Whales and Dolphins. The Mizen is an ever-changing experience.
- For those unable for steep climbs, there is a level path out to overlook the Bridge and see the wonderful views up the west coast.
- Walk another path down the cliff to see the Sea Arch
- Over the Bridge, walk up third path to see the view over famous (or is that, infamous!) Dunlough Bay to the Sheep’s Head and Beara Peninsulas.
- Take a walk down the path to the old derrick platform to look under the Bridge.
- Below – Keepers’ Quarters in the former Irish Lights Signal Station; the Engine Room with Marconi Radio Room and The Workman’s Quarters with the Mizen Map Collection, the spectacular Bird Mural room with 100 Birds in the Mizen area and their eggs, Whales and Dolphins, Wrecks and CIL Boats displays.
- The three Irish Lights
- The most southwesterly Discovery Point of Ireland on the Wild Atlantic Way! Land’s End Irish style.
See more details on Tour Page
Visit Mizen Café, the Gift Shop and Washrooms free of charge. There is a charge to continue through the Display Halls, down the Paths, across the Bridge to the Signal Station and the Lights at the most South-westerly Point of Ireland. Tickets from the Ticket Office in Fastnet Hall
A full visit will take 1 hour to 2 hours.
Find the Mizen Signal Station en-route along the Wild Atlantic Way Drive, as it is marked as a Signature Key Discovery Point on the Wild Atlantic Way.