Welcome to the Award Winning Mizen Head Irish Lights Signal Station at Ireland’s most Southwesterly Point.
At the end of the Mizen Peninsula, the cliffs of Mizen Head rise high above the Atlantic Ocean, where the currents meet from the west and south coasts and waves from the mid-Atlantic crash into the land.
- Key Discovery Point on the Wild Atlantic Way.
- Dare to cross the iconic Bridge high above the gorge; watch for seals and their pups in the swell below.
- Experience the solitude of the keepers’ lives and the elemental power of the restless Atlantic where the ocean currents swirl.
- Laugh with exhilaration into the fresh salt-laden sea air. Be inspired by the majesty (pull) of the endless seascape and the breath-taking views.
- Scan the ocean for whales and dolphins. In wind, rain and gale as well as hot summer sun, the Mizen is exciting. In fog and mist, it is mysterious – a journey of discovery for the senses.
- Interpretation and displays demonstrate many different topics, completing your experience. Come and find your Mizen!
In all weathers, the Mizen is spellbinding. Expect an exhilarating and satisfying visit.
Mizen Head Signal Station Visitor Attraction is three experiences in one exciting package –
- Above -the dynamic visitor centre by the large car park. Navigational Aids Simulator, Fastnet Hall, the Geology of the Mizen, the Fastnet Rescue Tide Clock, Tidal Mural, Historical Tour of the Mizen Peninsula, SS IradaPropellor and much more. Washrooms are there for your comfort.
- Mizen Cafe with good homefood, snacks, drinks and icecream for lunch and tea. Open all day.
- Gift Shop@theMizen. A quaint shop filled with a great selection of maritime gifts, model boats, books, and toys for all ages, postcards, cards and maps. A good place to browse.
- On the Way – a ten minute walk to the Signal Station down the famous 99 steps, and over the Arched Bridge amid stunning scenery with the possibility of seeing seals, kittiwakes, gannets and choughs. One of the best places in the world to see Minke, Fin and Humpback Whales and Dolphins. The Mizen is an ever-changing experience.
- Below – Keepers’ Quarters in the former Irish Lights Signal Station; the Engine Room with Marconi Radio Room and The Workman’s Quarters with the Mizen Map Collection, Birds, Whales and Dolphins, Wrecks and CIL Boats displays and much
See more details on Tour Page
Visit Mizen Café and the Gift Shop free of charge. There is a charge to continue through the Display Halls, down the Paths across the Bridge to the Signal Station and the Lights at the most South-westerly Point of Ireland.
A full visit will take 1 hour to 2 hours.
Find the Mizen Signal Station en-route along the Wild Atlantic Way Drive, as it is marked as a Signature Key Discovery Point on the Wild Atlantic Way.